PDA

View Full Version : Require your Feedback on a Waterfall and Pond Inside a Greenhouse

kingdino
04-07-2008, 05:41 PM
I am a newbie. I am planing to build a waterfall and pond inside a greenhouse. I like to gather input from the people with experience before making a final decision on an indoor setup. I seldom hear nor see this kind of indoor setting. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this kind of indoor setup? Do you prefer an indoor setup or outdoor setup?

In my case, I have a limited space in the backyard (about 16' x 13' garden space). The greenhouse is hexagonal shape with an approximate size of 12.5' x 11'. I have attached one greenhouse picture and one top view of the foundation sketch (illustrating the dimension).

Any feedback is appreciated!

RedManor
04-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Welcome!!! You will get alot of great info on this board.

Please supply some more information on your situation.

Where do you live?
What do you plan on putting in the pond - just plants, or fish too (what kind)

I have only seen indoor/greenhouse ponds at garden centers or the homes of very wealthy people, or park/state run gardens, like botanical gardens, arboretums, etc.

There are a lot of things to consider depending on where you live. It may get way to hot inside a greenhouse to support anything other than plants in the pond.

Send more pictures of your whole backyard, I am sure many people on this site, as well as myself, would find a way to squeeze a pond in between your existing garden and/or sacrifice our plants, or just move them to fit around a pond, LOL

Vicki B.

RedManor
04-07-2008, 06:08 PM
Oh, by the way, your greenshouse is beautiful - I wish I had one in my back yard too!

kingdino
04-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Vicki,

I live in the West Coast - Bellevue, WA. (very close to Seattle). We had a curve retaining wall built recently. The garden area is just top soil (dirt) now. I plan to put water lily in the pond. Gold fish is optional.

I have not put up the greenhouse yet. The picture is the marketing material from the manufacturer.

Tonight, I am happy to provide a sketch of my garden area surrounded by retaining wall on two sides and paver on the other side.

From Nelson.

kingdino
04-08-2008, 12:49 AM
I have attached a top view diagram of my garden space (shaded area) drawn to scale. I plan to place the greenhouse in the illustrated location. I will build a waterfall and pond inside. For now, space is my number 1 constraint.

Premium
04-08-2008, 03:19 AM
Green Houses get extremely hot during the summer months - hence the use of shade cloths on them. Evaporation will be accelerated as well. Also since you are extending the growing season the plants will become very large over a shorter time period. You will also have plenty of condensation build up when the outside temps are lower then the inside temps.

So if you are going ahead with this be able to shade the green house and provide cross ventilation to help cool it.

Jude
04-08-2008, 04:07 AM
Kingdino looking over your sketch of the garden area you have more than enough room for either a liner pond or preformed. I would look into a smaller liner pond 500-1000 gallons or a larger preformed 250-300 gallons. If Lilies and possibly some Goldfish are your main goals either would flurish in these kind of setups. Try not limiting yourself to just the greenhouse an outdoor water garden can be beautiful and tie in an entire backyard garden even without fish. Plus if fish are not a priority the cost can be much much less.

For example a simple preformed 100 gallon pond (48"x71"x18") will run you $65 dollars at Lowes or comprable store. Add a simple fountain pump with water bell or spitter for $50 dollars or so. This would be enough for a water garden full of plants. Another good thing about preforms or even liner ponds is they can be built above grade (ie above ground).

Hope these suggestions help.

Jude

RedManor
04-08-2008, 07:53 AM
You have plenty of room to fit an outdoor pond in the "dirt" area. Save the greenhouse for some yummy veggies and maybe beautiful orchids, etc...I was assuming it would get too hot in the greenhouse, but the expert confirmed it. You can put so many beautiful plants in the pond and around it while its outside that you may not be able to have space for inside.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing the progress.
Vicki B.