PDA

View Full Version : What to do about baby snake

treefrog
08-15-2008, 07:45 PM
The other day I noticed what I believe to be a baby mud snake slithering along the bottom of our pond. He looked to be about 5" long and maybe about 3/4 of an inch thick. My guess is all the tadpoles in residence have attracted it and it's not going to want to leave voluntarily.

Is this creature something to be alarmed about and if so, any ideas how to get rid of it?

TIA!
And now--a new development: last night I saw a much larger snake enter the pond. Couldn't get a good look at it other than to see it was at least 2 feet long.

UPDATE: Pulling out almost all the marginals and floating plants helped with this problem. The largest snake had no where to hide so he moved on (but not before eating 3 of our newest shubunkin). I finally was able to catch the adolescent by trapping him on land. A neighbor suggested putting a tall plastic garden border around the perimeter of our fence to make it more difficult for them to get into our yard.

WhisperingWind
08-16-2008, 01:07 PM
I don't know anything about this type of snake, but if you have a long handled pond net, I think I would net them out and remove them to another location, maybe in the country or something. I would expect that any snake would have the potential of catching and eating small fish. Snakes are generally good guys, eating vermin and such, but I wouldn't want to risk my fish.

JanR
08-16-2008, 01:42 PM
The other day I noticed what I believe to be a baby mud snake slithering along the bottom of our pond. He looked to be about 5" long and maybe about 3/4 of an inch thick. My guess is all the tadpoles in residence have attracted it and it's not going to want to leave voluntarily.

Is this creature something to be alarmed about and if so, any ideas how to get rid of it?

TIA!
And now--a new development: last night I saw a much larger snake enter the pond. Couldn't get a good look at it other than to see it was at least 2 feet long.

I don't know anything about this kind of snake, but I agree with WhisperingWind, all snakes are not a good thing in a pond. Even a baby snake can scare your fish, eat baby fish, tadpoles, or small frogs as well. Get them out of your pond pronto. When handling them, use big heavy gloves, so you don't get bit.

RedManor
08-16-2008, 06:22 PM
I would imagine that any water snake would go for fish and frogs that are small enough. But if all your fish are large, I wouldn't worry about it. Just one more cool bit of wildlife our ponds attrack.

I would do a general search on the web to see if any water snakes are poisonous. Maybe there are some sites specific to your area.

Get pictures if you can:D

treefrog
08-16-2008, 09:05 PM
I saw the adult snake again tonight and I'm fairly sure it's a banded watersnake which is even worse news as these eat fish while the mud snake doesn't. I've got rather small shubunkin so I think the disappearance of several can now be explained. I'm going to have to call in an expert to remove this thing because there's no way I'm getting near it. Even though they're not venomous, they apparently will bite and do so quite savagely. :eek:

Thanks for your responses!

Pond4Grandma
08-16-2008, 10:04 PM
I had two different kinds of snakes in my pond last month. One was an Eastern ribbon snake and the other was a smallish brown water snake. Didn't seem to bother the fish and I'm sure they were feeding on the tadpols since I had thousands of them in the pond. Since the toads have quit laying eggs all over my lilly stems, and my water has finally cleared up, I have not seen any snakes. I'm sure they were just lured by the tad poles. I got in the pond today to trim up and clean up the lilly leaves and mind you I was very watchful for any snakes :eek: since the first time I saw one I was at the other end of the pond. I still jumped out as fast as I could. :D My poor little dog never saw me move that fast.:D I wasn't worried about them getting my fish as my fish are bigger than the snakes.

RedManor
08-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Karen - I remember that story. Did you wear rubberbands around your pant legs?

Glad to know it's probably gone.

Tree Frog - I would agree with you and probably want it out of there too. I definately think it could fit a shubunkin in it's mouth. I bet if you saw a baby in there then I bet thats momma and there may be more babies, sorry, but you probably thought about that too!

I guess the only thing to do is to get someone in there to get 'em out. They can always let them go far away in another lake. They are pretty common here in NJ. We spotted one sunning on a rock alongside a stream during a hike. Relocating something like that doesn't cause a problem I would imagine. It's not like it's gonna get into someone elses garbage, etc....

Pond4Grandma
08-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Karen - I remember that story. Did you wear rubberbands around your pant legs?

Glad to know it's probably gone.

:D:D I had capris on, but I did worry about the little holes in my CROCs.:D:D