PDA

View Full Version : PHOTOS~Freaked out, what is this?????

goldengirl
07-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Hi all, photos are looking from the top of the bog right before the water flows into the pond.. down the waterfalls.. they look and move like little worms.. their dark in color.. Please dont tell me these are leaches.. ERRRRRRR what is this these things.. now their in the pond.. because when I got out of it they were on my feet..

Graham 83
07-27-2009, 03:04 PM
OK I won't tell you that they're probably a leech of some kind:D

Pondpuppy
07-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Looks like leaches to me too. I have seen them in our pond on the rocks, and my daughter had one that attached to her.

Carol:(

goldengirl
07-27-2009, 03:45 PM
I also want you all to know their the size of little black ants., is that what leeches look like.. could they be frog eggs>>>??? changing into tadpoles since I have tadpoles swimming away in the pond?? could that be a possibility.. I mean what do tadpoles look like before their tadpoles..???

Please what am I going to do with massive leeches.. their goes the whole swim pond concept.. eh????????????? my heart is like broken

BoxerPerson
07-27-2009, 04:03 PM
I think they are too small to be a leach...but I have never had them so I am not sure.

Graham 83
07-27-2009, 04:26 PM
There are dozens of species of leech from the very small harmless ones like these to the big guys that strick on

goldengirl
07-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Okay soooooooooooo are these then the ones I dont have to worry about.. for instance just leave alone.. and this is the size they are.. or are these babies.. waiting to grow up and suck me and my family dry.. LOL

seriously you all.. do I need to freak out abou these... I mean their are 1000's.. each section above all three waterfalls have them..

someone please put my mind at ease!!!!! I really am FREAKING OUT

Graham 83
07-27-2009, 04:42 PM
They should stay put and just eat the organics in the high O2 water going by.

goldengirl
07-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Well, the waterfall is pushing them right on over to the swim pond area.. so then they are harmless to us.. swimming in there.. ERRRRRRRRRRR... just hate bugs.. I hate bugs.. I am a goily goil!!!!!!

Chemistx2
07-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Did you ever get any fish in your swim pond? They would totally chow down on these little buggers the minute they hit the main pond.

goldengirl
07-27-2009, 06:24 PM
nope not yet.. thinking of getting a few fish.. just really worried its going to be dirty then.. does that make sense.. we wanted to run this over the summer and see how it goes first before adding in fish.. but I may be getting fish tommorrow.. LOL

I am beginning to think they are blackfly larvae.. I've been doing some heavy research...

thanks

helen
07-27-2009, 07:41 PM
[QUOTE=goldengirl;106085]I also want you all to know their the size of little black ants., is that what leeches look like.. could they be frog eggs>>>??? changing into tadpoles since I have tadpoles swimming away in the pond?? could that be a possibility.. I mean what do tadpoles look like before their tadpoles..???

I don't think they are frog eggs or tadpoles. Frog eggs look like blobs of gelatin with black spots in them. Tadpoles hatch as tadpoles, with long tails that get shorter as the legs sprout and grow.

I have no idea what they are, though!

Helen

GrandmaA
07-27-2009, 10:10 PM
If they are leeches I don’t think they are the “freshwater leech” (the blood sucking predator most of us think of when we hear “leech”. The freshwater leech spends it’s time at the bottom of the water hiding under rocks or litter until they sense prey and come out. As I remember basic biology all aquatic leeches prefer still water and avoid bright light. These things on top of the waterfall… don’t fit the mold. In fact most leeches are carnivores and would be spending their time in the water hunting, searching for small invertebrates to consume. Of course there are more than 600 varieties of leeches and our teacher could have missed telling us about the exception.

If they are black fly larvae you probably want to do something now before they morph into adults. You won’t be getting much time swimming with those blood suckers waiting for you to come out from under the water!

Jon M.
07-27-2009, 11:47 PM
Take a look at these sites...

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/insect2.htm#black

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Entomology-Study-Bugs-665/2008/5/Water-Larvae.htm

-Jon

goldengirl
07-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks again everyone.. yes, Jon thats where I too saw the photo and began thinking black fly larvae.. I am like built on farm land.. with tons of flys everywhere.. sooooooooo, mmmn.. lucky me more black flys.. ERRRR but thats better then blood sucking leeches.. right??? LOL

Lucky.. lucky.. me.. hopefully they just die off.. gonna go and see if I cant scrape them all into a bucket or something and then dispose.. mmmn how to dispose.. mmmn, fire/ poison, salt, bug spray???? any ideas on this one???
hugs to all!!!!

LJS
07-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Take a look at these sites...

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/insect2.htm#black

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Entomology-Study-Bugs-665/2008/5/Water-Larvae.htm

-Jon

:) welcome to ponding!

In past years I have had that, I also concluded base on photos they were the fly larva. Although we never noticed an increase of flies, YET!:eek:
It may be frogs & birds eat them?

mine were defiantly not leeches!

goldengirl
07-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Thanks so much.. geesh, first freaked with leeches, and then black flies.. when I went to read up on them.. I was like.. Oh my goish their suppose to be worse then mosquitos and horseflies.. well.. we got alot of those.. then I started thinking.. am I totally just freaking out.. and making way to much of it.. their just flies.. right????

geesh I am out here on farm areas all around me, horses.. cows.. shoot we have so many flies in the spring they hang on our siding.. eventually go away..

but I am still like what the heck our black flies.. Is that an evil villian that flies in the air.. and just attacks you in swarms.. you would think I was behaving like vampires are going to show up if I dont get those wormy things down.,. and of course they just sit there.. even more today.. then yesterday..
my kids climbed up the stone walls and started looking at them.. I said dont you dare knock those thing into our pond.. all screaming and freaking out.. I dont want to swim with them..

but I tell ya what.. I have seen some strange looking waterbugs in the pond.,. ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr..
LOL

Chemistx2
07-29-2009, 09:09 AM
...but I tell ya what.. I have seen some strange looking waterbugs in the pond...
Hah! Welcome to ponding! You supply the water and EVERYONE wants to move in. Dragonfly nymphs, water boatmen, water skippers all come by air. There's no avoiding them.

Real leeches, fish eggs, duckweed can ride in on plants. This is one reason to quarantine plants as well as fish before introducing them into your pond!

Parasites, bacterial and viral diseases can piggy-back in with new fish. More reason to QT!

Every pond becomes at least a little bit of a biology project. Enjoy!

Patty
07-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Hi
I have also alot of these in my plants and filter and was told its just good bactieria

rjer2282
07-29-2009, 12:16 PM
They are fly larva I have them too, they stick to the rocks and if you put your finger by them they curl up? If you pick a rock up they will be under it too. Fly larva i'm sure, They come and go, Bird just love them, I have bird feeders near my pond, helps keep bugs down. leeches will be in the mud and move like an inch worm, turtles WILL bring leeches to your pond if they find their way there. But even minnows will eat the larva in the pond, but not the water falls. I would get some fish.

mymoneypit
07-29-2009, 08:01 PM
I had asked about those awhile back, got some guesses and was told the fish would eat them. So I over a few days I put each rock out of the falls into the main pond, and watched as the goldies quickly scarfed down the icky looking bugs.

I haven't seen them in the pond since.

(And BTW I was in the pond cleaning the bottom before I discovered the bugs, they never bothered me)

Colette
08-02-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm pretty sure they are black fly larvea. I had these the first year or two of my pond. They were also in the top in a bog spot before they ran down the falls. I used to push them down the falls and the fish would line up below for a meal. They absolutely loved them. I don't think they will do any harm.
Just another addition of "critters" to your pond. Not to worry.

Colette

goldengirl
08-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks again all, we purchased a pond vac.. and my dh has yet to get those things up.. LOL, I am not touching them.. hehehehe
and nope no fish for me to knock them off the waterfall edge... heck the pond vac probably wouldn't work anyways..:D
muah

Heavnlydove
08-10-2009, 12:01 AM
This is why I could never do the swim pond thing, all the bugs and what not give me the creeps.

LJS
08-10-2009, 06:14 AM
Can't wait until you start getting some dragonfly nymphs. They live in the bottom of the pond..
:D

kerrible
08-12-2009, 06:15 AM
I have these in my waterfall on the flat rocks as well. They are also in the bio-falls. Although they are gross, they have never bothered me. I have the dragonflys as well, again, gross, but harmless. I did find a baby snapping turtle and also a baby painted turtle in my pond last year. We now call the painted bubbles and he is very happy in the pond, the other I returned to our local pond. As our pond is waist deep in the middle and currently green, it gets a little ooky when I get in to "dead-head" the pond. Every once in a while I feel something brush against my legs, but I still have all my fingers and toes!

Muske
09-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Black fly larve, totally harmless but still a little gross. Look in your biofalls and they will be atached all over the sides.

TJ5
09-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Can't wait until you start getting some dragonfly nymphs. They live in the bottom of the pond..

OMG! Is that what those things are? We love our Dragonflies, but I was completely creeped out by these things. I killed many of them. I hope I didn't eradicate my dragonfly population!

goldengirl
09-25-2009, 01:20 AM

LOL, I see all kinds of funky bugs in the pond, bug shells.. have no clue what that they are.. guess something metamorphisis in the pond..
Okay what do those things do/????/:mad::(:eek:

goldengirl
09-25-2009, 01:22 AM
I have these in my waterfall on the flat rocks as well. They are also in the bio-falls. Although they are gross, they have never bothered me. I have the dragonflys as well, again, gross, but harmless. I did find a baby snapping turtle and also a baby painted turtle in my pond last year. We now call the painted bubbles and he is very happy in the pond, the other I returned to our local pond. As our pond is waist deep in the middle and currently green, it gets a little ooky when I get in to "dead-head" the pond. Every once in a while I feel something brush against my legs, but I still have all my fingers and toes!

Lookin good.. shoot we swim in ours.. so all kinds of things are brushing up against me.. LOL

Muske
09-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Bugs are just part of the ecosystem...

Most to all are harmless to people. Dragonfly larve will eat fry if giving the chance.