PDA

View Full Version : Leaf control - netting -methods

kerry
10-14-2005, 09:16 PM
My pond is underneath lots and lots of trees. Leaves are a big problem for me. Last year I netted the pond, leaves filled up the net, net sinks into the water, leaf soup.

Looking for ideas,...

Is there anyway to keep the leaves from causing the netting to sag and drop into the water?

Thanks,..

Kerry

Freiya1302
10-14-2005, 09:30 PM
You could use a leaf blower to keep the leaves off the net. :)

allWet
10-14-2005, 09:32 PM
Try to run a single piece of pvc along the center of the pond to create sort of a "tent" shape.

kerry
10-15-2005, 08:30 AM
My pond has a stone rim so the water is a foot below the top edge of the stone. When I tried to blow (with a heavy duty backpack) much of it seems to stick in the netting. Also with the pond being 16' x 26 feet there is a lot of distance and hard to keep the netting from dipping into the water. Especially after a few leaves. I think I may have to run pipe as suggested at some intervals or I wondered about a net tent. Something off the ground with a pitched roof. What I really need is less trees in that area. They are pretty but with leaves and debris cause me problems most of the year.

I know, a few of large beach balls in the center to lift the netting? ?

lawngone
10-15-2005, 09:12 AM
We had the same problem last year with the net sagging into the water with leaves. This year we're making a "tent" and high enough where I can walk under it so I can get to the fish easily. There will also be "sides" draping down to the ground so nothing at ground level can blow into the pond. We'll be putting up our netting next weekend.

With the extra netting I won't need, I'll be using that to wrap around my upright shrubs to prevent heavy snow from splitting them this winter. The netting is lightweight and will blend in with the shrubs.

The beach ball idea sounds good, too.

Tammygirl815
10-15-2005, 12:37 PM
I had the same problem last year with the netting, I took it off and gave up. What I ended up doing was just scooping the leaves out last fall with my net and then the skimmer took care alot of the leaves but had to be emptyed 2 or sometimes 3 times a day. All -n- all everything turned out fine, alot of work but the net was a big pain in the @#$&

NJGranny
10-15-2005, 04:52 PM
This is our first fall and winter with the pond. My husband made a frame out of 2x2's, and we stapled the netting onto it. First he made the outside frame and then put one section across in the middle. He then divided each half into two's. This made four "panels." It's resting on the stones around the pond. Our pond is about 6x15. So far, it seems to be working. We have lots of trees around also.

steve535
10-15-2005, 06:48 PM
we put our net up today.i always hate cutting back all the plants.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/steve535/pondnet2.jpg

Cometstorm
10-16-2005, 11:51 AM
We have a very "tight" mesh net. Nothing but air gets through it...I think it is used by greenhouses for shade.

Our pond is 16 x 11, and we laid two 10' two by fours across it...at somewhat of an angle.

So far so good. Although some leafs are coming down, the "mighty leaf drop" hasn't started here yet.

We bought a backback leaf blower for when the going gets tough.

Hope it all works!

Ethan25
10-17-2005, 07:39 AM
Just put my netting up on my new pond yesterday. I bought about a dozen 2 foot long wooden stakes. I pounded them into the ground, bought a Laguna 15x20 foot net, had four people stretch it as far as it can go, and used thumb tacks to tack the netting to the stakes at 1 1/2 feet above the surface of the pond. No leaves yet, but I threw a couple of small pieces of flagstone on the net and it didn't touch the water. Maybe this will help.

Blessings,
Ethan

katydid
10-17-2005, 01:52 PM
Steve 535:

What an Excellent idea!!! What is the diameter of your pond? Did you make it or buy it? My pond is 16ft wide - I'd love to have something like that so I don't have to pull up the plants ... unfortunately I pulled up all plants except cattails when I put on the net in mid Sept.. string algae is growing vigorously even though water temp is around 62* yuck!!!

Car Doc
10-17-2005, 02:58 PM
here is what I have done it works great-
http://www.aquascapedesigns.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=5676

I havent scooped a single leaf out yet and in a couple weeks I am covering it with greenhouse film and making it as air tight as I practicaly can its not for everybody but its an idea.

ahhuhz
10-17-2005, 04:48 PM
I used cedar 2x4's to make a frame for my leaf net now and later, for my thermal pond cover for the winter.

Luvmaponds
10-17-2005, 06:21 PM
Hey, Chuck...did you hit the Powerball lottery or something??? The cedar cover looks great, but at what cost? Not to mention, you must have a pretty nice workshop to produce something like that. I know cedar is not cheap and it looks like you have quite an investment in the lumber alone.

Very impressive, to say the least!

I am going to go with "El Cheapo" (me) and stick with 1/2" PVC piping for tents over my two ponds and the stream. That is about the best I can afford with my garden the size it is.

ahhuhz
10-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Yup, cost a small fortune BUT, you can't use pressure treated lumber and regular lumber will rot so it is an investment. I will also use it for the thermal cover.

Can't take it with you, haha.

Pondgirl
10-18-2005, 10:21 AM
That's pretty awsome Chuck..looking good. :cool: And, no, you cant take it with you so enjoy it while you can. ;)

Luvmaponds
10-20-2005, 06:05 AM
You also can't take it with you if you don't have anything TO take!!:(

poodlemama99
10-20-2005, 06:24 AM
Really neat Chuck. Another successful woodworking project finished. Guys, Chuck is a skilled craftsman. I have seen the furniture he makes. Gorgeous.

Isn't that thing pretty heavy though?

fallgal
10-20-2005, 08:18 AM
Chuck, I had no idea you were so talented!!!! Pretty cool!!!!! Now, can you come back in the spring and build me a screen room over the deck and waterfalls????? :D

ahhuhz
10-20-2005, 08:36 AM
No room in the oven for cash, haha.

It is in sections Pam, but yes, even they are heavy but it has to hold up the snow when the solar cover is over it.

Sorry Mel, the association will not allow it.

fallgal
10-20-2005, 08:43 AM
Actually Chuck, I will probably be on the board this year, and will look into changin' some of those annoying association rules!!!!! :D

ahhuhz
10-20-2005, 08:56 AM
Fat chance of doing that, haha. Pretty soon you will want a Pink Flamingo by the falls, haha.

Pondgirl
10-20-2005, 09:13 AM
How do you abbreviate association? :p Get 'em Mel! :D

pond scum
10-22-2005, 06:46 PM
I used 5/16' diameter fiberglass tent poles I purchased on-line in batches of 8 2' segments that you shock-cord together to whatever size you need. They are placed in the pond, then tie-wrapped together to hold their position. It works great and is perhaps a bit more eye-friendly than PVC pipes.

pond scum
10-22-2005, 06:47 PM
Pic # 2

pond scum
10-22-2005, 06:47 PM
Pic # 3

Luvmaponds
10-22-2005, 08:31 PM
Scum, where did you purchase them on-line? Do you have a web address? That looks better than PVC -- I agree -- looks great. But how does it hold up to wind? I noticed you have the pole ends going into the pond -- are the ends capped or do you have them nestled in stones? I would be concerned about them puncturing the liner.:confused:

pond scum
10-22-2005, 10:17 PM
I got them at the Camping Station (http://store.yahoo.com/campingrus/tenpolrepkit.html) My post says 8 2' sections, but now I remember I bought 2 kits. The ends have little vinyl caps and they're stuck into the boulders at the ponds' edge. The wind is no problem, in fact it blows the leaves off, so it's a good thing!

SwampRats
10-30-2005, 09:15 AM
I having a little trouble understanding the reasoning behind all these netting ideas you guys are coming up with. I’m not knocking them (some of them are engineering masterpieces) but don’t you think they detract so much from the naturals beauty of the ponds that they out way the need.

Having come from Southeast Louisiana, I have never had to deal with a true winter. But I have built ponds built under Live Oaks and Bald Cypress. These trees can keep up with any of your northern debris droppers and they do it all year long. I build under the precept that if you got a lot of trees just install a bigger or multiple skimmers. I don’t want a pond only half the year and a tent or a deck for the rest.

And for the thermal protection, wouldn’t a little deeper pond with a layer of ice over the top be the best thermal cover for fish. Plus I bet it would look real cool!

……or maybe I should take my already conplaning about these 40 degree mornings in North Alabama back to Louisiana before it really gets cold……

Luvmaponds
10-30-2005, 02:37 PM
Hi Rob,

I can't speak for others, but I can speak for my own experience. I live near a wetland area where there are lots of trees. Last year I had to wade in the ponds several times a week to fish out bags full of leaves and branches. Man, that water was teeth-chattering cold!!:eek: I did this for about a month and swore I would never do it again. Now maybe where y'all are at, the water don't get that cold. But it did here! Now go further up into Yankee territory and you'll find water a whole lot colder...and no fun to go wading in.

I understand the negative asthetics that netting brings ponds, but it is either that or shut the pond down. In fact, due to a leg injury, I am having to forego the netting in favor of shutting the ponds down for the winter. My installer is coming back this week to collect all of my fish and take them to a larger pond where they will be happier. He'll bring me some small ones back next spring when the ponds are back up and running again.

As for the skimmer being able to keep up with the leaves....I know some of these people, myself included, have a real leaf problem and would have to stand outside the skimmer box and empty out the skimmer basket about every hour or so to keep the pump from being blocked. I've watched leaves float into the skimmer, and I've watched leaves sink almost like a rock, so not all leaves go into the skimmer. Then there are the little branches with multiple leaves attached that get into the ponds. When these leaves start decaying, they can play havoc with the pond chemistry and ecology because most backyard ponds are not large enough to effectively manage this many leaves at one time. A few leaves here and there are no problem -- it's the mass of them that come down in the fall that create the problems.

Now I am basing this all on info I have gleaned from past posts as well as my own experience and common sense. So don't peg me an expert on this topic.

Pondgirl
10-30-2005, 02:55 PM
Hi Tom! And Robbie! :) Just wanted to say Hi! :D Agree with Tom too, here in the northwest we either cover them or do alot of cleaning and it's too cold here to get in and hang with the fish. Tom, you're getting rid of all of your fish? I'm surprised to hear that..Start another thread and explain would you.

Car Doc
10-31-2005, 09:36 AM
It semed like a dumb thing to do to me too but I dont regret covering it so far this year, cleaning leaves out 4-5 times a day was not my idea of enjoying my pond and having all that crap sitting on the bottom for 5-6 months didnt thrill me either! :D

Jackie G
10-31-2005, 10:07 AM
Just netted our pond yesterday, looks pretty goofy. But is a neccessary evil. I'll post pics later. Would have looked better with a black net, but didn't think of that at the time I ordered it. Used a suggestion I read here about buckets and pvc pipe, that works well to keep the net up in the middle. Didn't net it last year and what a mess in the spring. We did it in a way that we could keep the pump running for awhile yet and bummer, woke up yesterday morning to a burned out pump :mad: So I guess we're shut down for the year. Checking to see what kind of warranty there is on the pump.

Keep netting, even if the neighbors laugh :D

Jackie G

Luvmaponds
10-31-2005, 05:50 PM
It semed like a dumb thing to do to me too but I dont regret covering it so far this year, cleaning leaves out 4-5 times a day was not my idea of enjoying my pond and having all that crap sitting on the bottom for 5-6 months didnt thrill me either! :D

If I had that thing in my yard, the Home Owners Association would be forming a lynch mob to come get me!!! :D :D :D

I can't imagine you are going to do that every year! Looks like far too much trouble to me.

Luvmaponds
10-31-2005, 06:19 PM
Hi Tom! And Robbie! :) Just wanted to say Hi! :D Agree with Tom too, here in the northwest we either cover them or do alot of cleaning and it's too cold here to get in and hang with the fish. Tom, you're getting rid of all of your fish? I'm surprised to hear that..Start another thread and explain would you.

Done!

WindyMisty
10-31-2005, 07:43 PM
We just cleaned out and netted our pond yesterday. Man, what a pain! It sure was easier last year, when all the fish had died and we could just pull the pump and let it freeze over until spring - no fall cleaning, no cutting anything back, no worry about leaves, nothing!

You are right about the water being COLD :eek: now. We couldn't do anything sooner because my husband had hip replacement surgery 4 weeks ago and there just wasn't time to get any fall prep done before the surgery. We were gone for 3 weeks for the surgery and recovery, and now he's getting around on crutches and is recovering nicely. He's even driving now! I have to say, the netting barely even shows, and it's doing a wonderful job of keeping all the leaves out of the pond. Our netting job is pretty simple compared to the others I see here. We just put in a t-post at each end of the pond, strung a cable between, and draped the netting over the cable and staked it to the ground on either side of the pond. The entire pond area is about 32' long and about 12' wide, and we used 3 14'x14' pieces of black bird netting, the kind that is supposed to keep birds out of fruit trees. Simple and effective, and almost invisible!

Now we just need to make the tote box heater, install the bubbler, and we're good for winter! I hope the fish make it . . . . this was a LOT of work! :p

Cometstorm
11-01-2005, 06:37 AM
I having a little trouble understanding the reasoning behind all these netting ideas you guys are coming up with. I’m not knocking them (some of them are engineering masterpieces) but don’t you think they detract so much from the naturals beauty of the ponds that they out way the need.

I don’t want a pond only half the year and a tent or a deck for the rest.

I think most of us only have the netting on for a month or so...during the "major" leaf drop...

I put mine on several weeks ago, but will probably be taking it off in early December.... :)

Car Doc
11-01-2005, 09:13 AM
If I had that thing in my yard, the Home Owners Association would be forming a lynch mob to come get me!!! :D :D :D

I can't imagine you are going to do that every year! Looks like far too much trouble to me.

LOL Tom I know you are not trying to make me feel bad because I dont have an "association" to tell me how to live!

BTW this AM the outside temp was 33 inside the "thing" was 52 the water temp at 4' was 52. :rolleyes:

actually I havent said I was going to do it the same way each year even though it didnt take more than a few hours to set it up I have more than saved that in cleanup 2-5 times a day and made the pond stay clean all winter no I am most likely going to use an even simpler approach but I didnt see it until I built it this way in fact I will be able to set it up next year in half the time and it will be alot stronger and simpler.

Luvmaponds
11-01-2005, 07:18 PM
You certainly have my admiration, Doc! Unfortunately we DO have an association tell us what we can do. In fact, we had to submit the plans for the water garden, complete with detailed drawings, measurements, etc., before we could build the thing. Dang associations!

My favorite Christmas song:

All I want for Christmas is a storage shed, a storage shed, a storage shed. All I want for Christmas is a storage shed, a storage shed for tools!

Sigh! :o

Car Doc
11-02-2005, 08:27 AM
thanks Tom Hope you get what you want for Christmas! yeah associations can be overbearing, a few years ago we looked at some new property in the mountains of Colorado by Durango undeveloped we had 5 years to build a house and it had to meet their specs and we couldnt park a camper or leave a car parked for an extended length of time etc geez at 10k per acre and an average 8.5 acres per site I said forget this I dont WANT to live here!

Luvmaponds
11-02-2005, 05:51 PM
10k an acre?? Wow, that's a bargain!! You don't want to know what an acre will cost in Myrtle Beach! Okay, I'll tell you anyway -- try 100k to over 1mil!

We live in a pretty nice golfing community. But they have very stringent rules. No swimming pools, no storage sheds, no boats/RVs, no on-street parking, no fences (except 5' picket types, must be vinyl type and professionally installed), etc., etc. I was surprised they let us put in the water garden!:eek: :D

Car Doc
11-03-2005, 08:43 AM
I am sure you set the bar for the rest Tom your pond is very nice!

Luvmaponds
11-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Thanks, CD...and so do you! :o ;)

Ed Tarter
11-24-2005, 05:32 PM
I am constructing a new pond, and here is a photo of the method I used to capture the fall leaves.

It is very inexpensive, requiring only a few lengths of pressure-treated 2x4's, and (in my case) six laundry baskets which were only $3-4 each. The 2x4's are simply laid across the top of the baskets, and held in place with a brick or stone weight.

This gives the netting enough height above the water line to prevent the netting from drooping into the water.

Luvmaponds
11-24-2005, 09:10 PM
Hi Ed,

Happy Thanksgiving and welcome to the forum!! Your pond looks like it is well on its way to being a beautiful addition to your home. Please keep us posted on its progress.

Your netting idea looks like a very viable, simple, and economical way to keep your pond clear of leaves. However, one note of caution: It is my understanding that pressure treated lumber can "leak" harmful chemicals into the pond over time. Be sure to limit the use of the lumber and remove as soon as all leaves have fallen. Or you can use regular untreated lumber, preferably hardwood 2x4s (as they are more weather resistant).

Good luck on that pond, and again please keep us posted on its progress -- we love a great success story!

ahhuhz
11-25-2005, 07:53 AM
I second that emotion! Get those pressure treated 2x4's outta there.

I used cedar 2x4's. Expensive but safe for the fish. You can also use regular 2x4's, some people use outdoor varnish on them.

Ed Tarter
11-25-2005, 08:38 AM
Thanks Tom and Chuck for your helpful comments. It was my intention to only use the netting to capture the fall leaves, and then remove before winter sets in. I didn't consider the potential harmful effects of pressure-treated wood, so I will change to cedar next year.

Regards, Ed

ahhuhz
11-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Excellent! By now you should be catching snow, not leaves, haha. We had some snow yesterday and it was 8 here this morning.

the_messenger
11-25-2005, 11:31 AM
Doc I like your idea and have been considering something like this for next year. My pond is quite small though so thinking about getting one of those little green houses you get at thet walmart and dropping it over the thing.

I am very interested in hearing your results regarding the inside and outside temps throughout the season as well.

having a small pond I desided i could skim the leaves by hand and not worry about purchasing a net or cover. very bad idea. The plants and fish had been brought in and I have been out of town for the most part the last week or so.

So what happend you ask.. the perfect example of how important the leaf net or cover is. Thank goodness I got the little buddies out right away. The pond had an inch or more of ice on it already and after busting that out of the way to dig the leaves out I realized the water is baddly tea colored and there is a oil looking like substance coming up out of the hole in the ice.

definately fully understand the need for net now and so gald I got the fish and plants out.

seeing this water I can completely understand the importance of keeping the pond clean in the fall. Wonderfull learning experience I must say.

Car Doc
11-25-2005, 01:25 PM
Hi messenger sounds like you timed moving your fish just right! if you have a surumi pump that may be where the oil came from those pumps need resealed every 2 years they have oil in them just a thought.

I can say that with only 3 months having my pond covered it has been wonderfull I dont have a single leaf anywhere not one my pond is clear as gin and no crud on the bottom anywhere it is the envy of all my pond friends I guarantee next year here there wont be a pond that isnt covered ATLEAST with netting! now if I can keep mine up all winter it will be worth the effort but so far with 50-70 mph wind storms it has keep me on the edge of my sanity!!!

next year there will be a steel tubing structure oriental style covering the whole pond where it will be real easy to make a greenhouse out of it again.

as far as temps go so far the lowest temp water I have seen is 56 degrees the greenhouse is usually around that or lower at nite but it gets up in the daytime right now its at 57.8 water temp I am still feeding them only once a day wheatgerm food, all the other ponds around here have been shut down for 6 weeks or more and they are in terrible condition IMO with all the leaves etc in them. Id say go for it with the greenhouse cover on your pond and you probly can just leave fish and all out there. edit: outside temps are usually in the mid to low 20's at nite and the inside temp in the greenhouse has gotten down in the 40's is all.
Steve

Luvmaponds
11-25-2005, 03:16 PM
Thanks Tom and Chuck for your helpful comments. It was my intention to only use the netting to capture the fall leaves, and then remove before winter sets in. I didn't consider the potential harmful effects of pressure-treated wood, so I will change to cedar next year.

Regards, Ed

Good move, Ed! ;)

Luvmaponds
11-26-2005, 07:45 AM
Hi Messinger,

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over the condition of your pond. I had my fish removed and brought in a few tropical plants and then shut my pond down for the winter. It doesn't get that cold here but we have a lot of leaves coming down. I generally do a thorough cleanout of the ponds in spring so I don't worry about the leaves in the water. You will be doing a cleanout in the spring as well so that will be a good time to get the leaves out. Your fish and plants are safe indoors, so enjoy the winter and the fact that you don't have to worry about the pond for a few months. I would get that pump checked, though, as Car Doc suggested.

the_messenger
11-26-2005, 05:04 PM
the pump is good, no troubles there, sitting in a bucket of water in the basement right now. fish, plants, and pump all good. the ponds surface is now completely frozen, now all the rabbits, birds and squirles are using it and the falls like a junge gym.

Luvmaponds
11-26-2005, 07:58 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_50_5.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZS)

junior
12-30-2005, 01:37 PM
Good Afternoon All,

This is my first post on this board. I was sent this threat from a friend. I have a solution for most small pond owners. I have developed a product that might be of use to you all. This is not to say that all of the ideas and methods that I have read and seen are not good. My idea is simple and a bit less troublesome. To save space and time on this server you can read and view what I have proposed to the pond industry on my website: http://pondcoverings.com/

This product has been in a market search for 2 years, we have selectively chosen pond owners to trial this product. Some of you out there may have already seen or heard of us. The name is Pond Coverings, and we are Pat. Pend 2005, We are certain this product is right for most pond owners. I have personally installed more than 500 pond/water gardens. I have been doing this for the last 17 years or so. Greg Witstock is a good pond builder. I have had the pleasure of meeting him a few times. His products are a sound way to maintain and filtrate a pond, as do all others that show a similar system. But nothing can catch up with mother nature when she drops her leaves. So this is my solution to the ever going battle with leaves. The costs as shown on the website as of today Dec 30,2005 will be changing on/or after Jan 20,2006. We are restructuring the site for a more friendly atmoshere. I hope that there is someone who could use my experience. It has worked on 36 projects that we have installed to. The site explains it all, and there is an e-mail link if you need it.

junior

junior
12-30-2005, 01:42 PM
I have a solution. check this out http://pondcoverings.com/