PDA

View Full Version : How to install an UV clarifier

Spokaneman
08-28-2006, 04:49 PM
I am going to install a UV clarifier but I don't know how. Sure, gluing and attaching PVC fittings and pipes is no big deal, but there are other considerations:
* How to assure that the unit is protected from creatures (e.g. my dog) and prople who might accidently hit it?

* How to make it EASILY accessible for maintenance?

* How to assure that the winterization (removal) of the unit is easiest? (I will use a set of quick-disconnect joints in the final configuration.) I live in Spokane, WA and frequently see sub-freezing temperatures.

* Should the thing be put in some sort of a box such as the type of valve box enclosure used for irrigation systems?

* Do I need to bring an exterior electrical box to the unit, or will a good quality exterior extension cord be satisfactory?

If anyone has a diagram (or, better yet, a photo) of an installation they have devised (and are pleased with), I'd appreciate seeing it.

Thanks all.

Dodie
08-29-2006, 02:00 PM
Sure wish someone would answer you. Cause I am about to do the same thing and all the people on this site have very creative minds.

There are usually directions but the guys on the site can give short cuts etc.
Then after they answer you on the UV I am going to try and find a creative way to make a prefilter.
So I will keep watching to see if you get a response. Good luck and if I learn anything I will pass it along to you.

Cornerstone
08-29-2006, 04:11 PM
I am going to install a UV clarifier but I don't know how. Sure, gluing and attaching PVC fittings and pipes is no big deal, but there are other considerations:
* How to assure that the unit is protected from creatures (e.g. my dog) and prople who might accidently hit it?

* How to make it EASILY accessible for maintenance?

* How to assure that the winterization (removal) of the unit is easiest? (I will use a set of quick-disconnect joints in the final configuration.) I live in Spokane, WA and frequently see sub-freezing temperatures.

* Should the thing be put in some sort of a box such as the type of valve box enclosure used for irrigation systems?

* Do I need to bring an exterior electrical box to the unit, or will a good quality exterior extension cord be satisfactory?

If anyone has a diagram (or, better yet, a photo) of an installation they have devised (and are pleased with), I'd appreciate seeing it.

Thanks all.

I usually locate the U.V. behind or next to the biofall. There tends to be less traffic and access there for two and four leg creatures. If you dry stack stone around and over it you will have easy access to maintain it yet it will be protected and hidden. They don't pull much electricity, so a quality outdoor ext. cord hidden in the mulch will get the job done. Of course an outlet is always nice to have. :)

Questons: Do you shut your pond down for the winter.
Are you planning on plumbing the light parallel to the main line so all the water does not flow through the U.V.

The picture shown has a U.V. light installed on the left side of the waterfall hidden in the stone. By moving a rock on the back side the owner can remove the end cap and bulb from the light. There is also an external 5000gph pump with parrallel plumbing for the U.V. light at that location.

DAVER
09-01-2006, 08:32 AM
I will try to be some help. My uv is a nurserypro Aquaklear model which can be installed in the ground up to the tubing. I have a 750gph pump installed in the skimmer next to the 4500gph pump. The skimmer is close to my electrical outlet. The uv is in the ground about 3 feet away and dug into the ground. The tubing is connected and put under the mulch the discharge goes under mulch then under the rocks and then into the pond about a foot away from the skimmer inlet. That way the clumps of algea will go into the skimmer instead the bottom of the pond. I then placed flat river rock around uv that was above ground to conceal it. If you didn't know it was there you would never notice it. I placed it in a non traffic area of our pond. Also when winter comes I just move the rocks disconnect the tubing and pull it out. I can take some photos of the install if that would help. Let me know. Hope this is some help.