PDA

View Full Version : Declor - use it

cindy
11-01-2006, 11:27 AM
I started to read another thread but it got too long.

Use declorinator when adding water. Almost all of the water systems are switching to Chloramine. A mix of ammonia and chlorine. If you test your water out of the tap, you'll get a measurable ammonia reading.

I use (no I don't sell it) Chloram X - a powder that is mixed and it kills chlorine and binds ammonia. Sodium Thiosulfate is also cheap and relies on a working biofilter to eat the ammonia.

cindy
11-03-2006, 08:12 AM
31 views? no replies does that mean everybody is using their declor?

:(

buzzyng
11-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Cindy,
I live in a rural area of Washington State and we've had our pond and fish since the beginning of the summer. We also have a friend who has had a pond for over three years. Both of us use water out of the hose to refill/top off our ponds and have never used dechlor. All six of our adult fishies and all the babies they had this summer are fine. Our friend has had fish and koi that have never had any problems either (except for the racoon that ate one of them :( ). We've actually never tested the water for chlorine. I drink water straight out of the tap and it tastes fine. That may sound naive but we've I've never considered it before.

cindy
11-06-2006, 07:58 AM
all I can say is you've been lucky

I drink water straight out of the tap and it tastes fine. That may sound naive but we've I've never considered it before different route. try shooting some up your nose, the fish have to breath it.:)

WindyMisty
11-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Not all water supplies have chlorine. We live in a rural area of Wisconsin, and are on a private well. Never have used dechlor, and never will need to. The water gets tested regularly for other contaminents that are bad for humans.

cindy
11-06-2006, 01:02 PM
I'd love to have a well. The only thing to remember with well water is it has no oxygen in it. If using for a water change, be sure to aerate if you have fish.

LindasJoy
11-09-2006, 04:20 PM
I use (no I don't sell it) Chloram X - a powder that is mixed and it kills chlorine and binds ammonia.Cindy, how is this in comparison with Prime and Amquel+, other than price?

Read a post elsewhere that someone didn't mix the Chloram X properly and killed their fish.:eek: Is it so difficult to use, that an expert koi owner could do this?:confused: Have also read that the instructions on the product are not clear.:confused:

Because I do have chloramine, I'm very interested in it because of the cost factor, but I'd like more info if you can supply it please. TIA:)

koiman
11-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Cindy, how is this in comparison with Prime and Amquel+, other than price?

Read a post elsewhere that someone didn't mix the Chloram X properly and killed their fish.:eek: Is it so difficult to use, that an expert koi owner could do this?:confused: Have also read that the instructions on the product are not clear.:confused:

Because I do have chloramine, I'm very interested in it because of the cost factor, but I'd like more info if you can supply it please. TIA:)

This might help:

http://aquascienceresearch.com/

happyoutsidegirl
11-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Cindy,
I live in a rural area of Washington State and we've had our pond and fish since the beginning of the summer. We also have a friend who has had a pond for over three years. Both of us use water out of the hose to refill/top off our ponds and have never used dechlor. All six of our adult fishies and all the babies they had this summer are fine. Our friend has had fish and koi that have never had any problems either (except for the racoon that ate one of them :( ). We've actually never tested the water for chlorine. I drink water straight out of the tap and it tastes fine. That may sound naive but we've I've never considered it before.

I also live in Wa. and we have a well. My water seems to have pleanty of air in it! Tho I don't use it for the pond for the most part. Only top offs in the winter. I use the irrigation water for my pond.Straight from the river.

cindy
11-13-2006, 05:40 PM
Linda, all are pretty similar. The Chloram X is a powder and is cheaper since you mix it up verses the liquid that is already mixed.

I mix mine in a shaker and then let it sit for a few minutes then shake again and mix with the hose as I add.

I've done 90% changes(no I don't recommend) with no problems.

ALot use Sodium thiosulfate but it doesn't bind the ammonia but is cheap cheap cheap. On small water changes, using ST, the biofilter will eat the ammonia

If you do a water change with well water, add air