PDA

View Full Version : Can I release goldfish in lake?

greenbird152
06-11-2007, 12:18 PM
I don't know what else to do with all the baby fishies that are overcrowding my 500 gallon pond. Seeing baby fish at first is exciting and gratifying to watch them grow up, but when the latest batch just doubled my fish count from 10 to 20 (as far as I can see so far) I'm concerned with endangering the rest of the fish due to bad water conditions.

I live next to a large lake and I figured that catching and releasing some of the 1-2" gray fish into a shallow calm area of the lake would be the next best place for them to thrive. Does anyone foresee any problems with this? I mean they're not like some strange predatory fish or anything, just simple goldfish/comet mixed breeds. I know water plants should never be let loose in natural waterways, but I think goldfish would be harmless. And I would add lake water to the bucket of pond water first to get them acclimated. Does this sound OK?

WindyMisty
06-11-2007, 12:39 PM
NO NO NO, this is absolutely NOT ok. Goldfish are not a native species and should NEVER be released into natural lakes and ponds. They may carry diseases and parasites of which you are not aware. These may spread to native species which carry no immumities to foreign diseases and parasites. Your "innocent" release of goldfish could wipe out an entire population of native fish.

Here in Wisconsin, we're currently fighting a disease that is killing the native fish in Lake Winnebago in Fond du Lac. It causes the fish to bleed to death internally and wash up on shore in large numbers. So far, I haven't heard how this disease came to be in the lake, but boaters and fishermen are now on strict regulation to drain all water and scrub boat bottoms when moving a boat from lake to lake. There are also restrctions on where bait for fishing can come from (no fishing in one lake and using that fish as bait in another lake). This disease has the potential to completely wipe out the fish populations in our lakes - it would be AWFUL to find that it came from someone's "innocent" release of pet store fish into a lake where they don't belong!

You have other choices. Talk to your local pet store and see if they need "feeder" fish to sell. Talk to your local landscaper or pond installer and see if one of their clients has a man-made pond that needs stocking with fish. Be creative! And, if you can't find anyone who will take your fish, you will need to humanely destroy them if your pond can not support them.

Graham 83
06-11-2007, 02:03 PM
To repeat Karen.............NO NO NO NO

Besides being unethacial...it's illegal as hell.....under no circumstances should anything,,,,fish, bird, reptile, or mammal that's not native ever be released into the wild.

Sorry If I sound a little harsh but we've got lakes here that are being destroyed by non native species.............

JanR
06-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Why not put an ad in the paper, Free Goldfish. Even a sign like you would put out for a yard sale. I bet you will have more takers than fish. Not only will somebody with a pond might want them, but someone wanting goldfish in the house might want them.

greenbird152
06-12-2007, 07:08 AM
I am so glad I asked! I tried catching them yesterday but found it impossible...which is a good thing now that I know the danger of what I planned to do. I'll think of another solution - just can't bring myself to kill them. Thanks to all.

Chemistx2
06-12-2007, 08:39 AM
I am so glad I asked! I tried catching them yesterday but found it impossible...which is a good thing now that I know the danger of what I planned to do. I'll think of another solution - just can't bring myself to kill them. Thanks to all.

Have you tried "Craigs List" on the internet? It's a great place to give away freebies, and I've seen baby pond fish there before. Go to www.craigslist.com, then click on your state/area to advertise locally. FREE!

greenbird152
06-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Have you tried "Craigs List" on the internet? It's a great place to give away freebies, and I've seen baby pond fish there before. Go to www.craigslist.com, then click on your state/area to advertise locally. FREE!

11:30 AM -Thanks for the suggestion - great resource!
2:00 PM update - Holy Cow! Within the hour of posting my offer for free fish & waterplants, I had 4 responses! Your help is greatly appreciated Chemistx2 - you saved the day and the fish! Kudos to you!

Chemistx2
06-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Your help is greatly appreciated Chemistx2 - you saved the day and the fish! Kudos to you!

Gee whiz - it's awesome to feel like Spiderman, even if only for little fishies!

greenbird152
07-03-2007, 11:58 PM
Thanks again for the wonderful suggestion of posting on
craigs list. I had a wonderful guy drive from SC with his mom (for whom he built a pond) and adopt 19 baby fish along with some water plants! I had such great response using this online resource so I will continue to post offers for free fish and plants! I'm not out to make $ - just thankful that someone else can benefit from something(s) I would have otherwise disgarded.