Thread: when do baby koi get their color?

when do baby koi get their color?

Hi all,
    I hope everyone has been having a good summer so far. We are the proud parents of some baby koi, and I was just curious when they get color patterns? We have two that are completely white right now, and the others are all dark. They are probably only about 2-3 inches. They all seem happy, and are already swimming with the big guys.

Thanks!

I am glad you asked this question. We have one baby, and its pure white too. He is swimming more and more with the others too. We think we can see a little black along his back, and maybe a little bit of yellow on his head. So am anxious to see what others say about when they start changing more.

Thank goodness I don't have babies so far. But they are really cool to watch change.
    Some of my 30 inchers still change. While some of the others have always been like they are now. Usually mine showed the basics when they were about 6-8 inches.

Dodie

Dodie, thanks for the response. I look forward to seeing these guys grow and change color...but hoping I don't get many more since I don't want my pond overstocked.

Mine started showing some color at about two or three inches. I have a Kaleidoscope of colors in the pond now. They're about 4 inches or so now.

Not sure if koi or gold fry

I have 2 Koi, and had one red gold fish breed. I never expected any of them to mate as I didn't know the *** of any of the fish.

One day I went out to the pond to feed them and noticed my gold fish was dead and appear to be beat up upon the shelf. Quite sad, I buried the fish and called it done..

A few days later, I went to feed my remaining 2 Koi and noticed that the fish food was moving by itself.. upon closer exam, I found I had fry. NO idea what kind or if there was some cross breeding. That's when I noticed one of my koi had missing scales and it's now white where it use to be orange.

That was about 3.5 months ago. Now some of the Fry are about an inch or more long and some much smaller. I see some that have the iridescent orange and black of one Koi. the rest seem to remain a muddy color.

At this point I don't know how to know exactly what happened or how long I should wait for color to give me a clue.

Any information would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo-BlackOrchid View Post
    I have 2 Koi, and had one red gold fish breed. I never expected any of them to mate as I didn't know the *** of any of the fish.

One day I went out to the pond to feed them and noticed my gold fish was dead and appear to be beat up upon the shelf. Quite sad, I buried the fish and called it done..

A few days later, I went to feed my remaining 2 Koi and noticed that the fish food was moving by itself.. upon closer exam, I found I had fry. NO idea what kind or if there was some cross breeding. That's when I noticed one of my koi had missing scales and it's now white where it use to be orange.

That was about 3.5 months ago. Now some of the Fry are about an inch or more long and some much smaller. I see some that have the iridescent orange and black of one Koi. the rest seem to remain a muddy color.

At this point I don't know how to know exactly what happened or how long I should wait for color to give me a clue.

Any information would be appreciated.
    Sorry about your goldfish loss but having some fry brings back some of the joy. Since your goldfish appeared to be beat up that may be from the mating process. Koi and goldfish do interbreed and I've read the fry are sterile like mules. The Koi should be showing some color even before a month old and at 2-3" their barbels or whiskers will be visible without a magnifier meaning those are your koi and not goldfish. Shape wise Koi are more streamlined like torpedos and goldfish are rounder. Goldfish often show color at 1-2" but that varies and some may not change color at all. Koi change colors usually gradually thoughout their lives.

About Watergardening.com

Watergardening.com is a forum devoted to water feature enthusiasts all over the world.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube RSS Feed