Thread: Ughh, I keep finding dead mice in my pond!

Ughh, I keep finding dead mice in my pond!

Anyone else have this problem? I just installed my small pond about 4 days ago, and every morning I find a drowned mouse in there!! I'm sure they're dipping in for a drink and falling in. Any suggestions about how to keep it from happening?

If this is truely what is happening you could always place a shallow bowl, pot tray etc. near the pond and they could use that. Another thought is that you have a bird of prey or cat in the area that is stopping by for a drink and accidently dropping their dinner I found a mole once in my pond.
    Adopt the pace of nature;
    Her secret is patience.

Are you in a desert area? I think that desert mice don't know how to deal with lots of water like that. We've taken yearly houseboat trips, and always keep a bucket of lake water on the shore for foot washing before climbing back aboard. Only on Lake Mead (in the desert) did we find drowned mice in the bucket, not more than 10 feet from the lake.

They'll either learn to avoid it, or you won't have a mouse problem any more. I wish my rats would fall in!

Sonoma County Susan
    Science Teacher, Ponder (Zone 9)

Rats!

Quote Originally Posted by Chemistx2 View Post
    They'll either learn to avoid it, or you won't have a mouse problem any more. I wish my rats would fall in!
    Hey Teacher, in addition to the "accidental drowning," there's a better way to get ridden of your rats---the use of the GRAVITY trap... The sunflower seeds are used & laid as baits on the GRAVITY platform inside the trap. It's 100% effective in catching the sucker --- as soon as the sucker touches the seeds on the platform --- BANG --- the door shuts behind the sucker!

Rodents turning up 'in the drink' might indicate someone has been putting a poison bait such as Decon down for pesky vermin.

With the very last gasp of dehydrated desperation, in the final throes of a rather unpleasant and tormented pickle, they literally stagger about... to keel over and fall in the drink...

Regards, andy
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/adavisus/

sorry it's taken me so long to reply; our computer crashed shortly after I started this thread . Anyway, Im still finding mice in the pond, but not everyday thank goodness. I know there is a ton of decon around here, because we live on a farm and the old owners had put boxes and boxes in the barn, in the crawlspace under the house, etc. Also, our cat is a great mouser, but Im not sure he's dropping them in the pond...Ugh, who knows! Im going to try putting a little saucer by the pond and see if they are smart enough to start going there instead. I hate waking up in the morning to find these "floaters"

what about adding something like a floating log? We have to add one because I am TERRIFIED that my cat will fall in the pond and not be able to get out and drown.. almost ALL animals can swim if they need to in order to survive.. if mice are falling in (and not dying from decon) or if a cat is dropping them in there and they are still alive, they can atleast have something to climb out on.. Just a suggestion

Just a thought on your dead/drowned mouse problem.

Do you have any bull frogs near your pond? This is my third summer with my pond and I put some bullfrog tad poles in late last season. This season they have emerged as grown bull frogs. I noticed two very matted (like they were wet and dried that way) dead mice near my bog on the ground. After pondering what might have caused these two mice to die, I think I figured it out. My bull frogs are on the young side and I know that bull frogs generally try to eat what ever will fit in their mouths. Perhaps since my frogs were too young they "bit off more than they could chew" or swallow whole in this case. I believe my guys just spit out the mice because they tried and couldn't swallow the mice they caught. This was a month ago. I have not found anymore dead mice around. Perhaps they now choose their meals more wisely. Let me know if you see any bull frogs around. I would love to know if I figured correctly and that is what may be causing your mice in the pond. Vicki

usually mice and critters can escape easily from ponds because of all the rock work on the sides. swimming pools however are impossile.
    is your pond rockless? or is the water level too low? try raising the water level
    a log can also help

Add some floating plants

The first year we put in our pond we had two birds in it. One was an adult that was already gone by the time I found it. The second was a baby that I managed to save. After that, I put in floating plants as soon as I can & haven't had any feathered floaters since. It may just be a coincidence but at least they could climb onto the plants if they did fall in. I think keeping the water level up should help too.

Thumbs up Mouse free for several weeks now!! Yippee!!

Thanks for the suggestions! I added more plants to give them something to climb out on, and also started keeping the water level high. I think that was the problem because I found a large toad in the pond, trying desperately to get out, but my pond is a rigid liner and the water level was just too low for him to climb out. So I raised the water, and so far, no more dead mice!
    Vicki- we don't have bullfrogs in our area, but that sounds like what is probably happening in your case. I've thought of getting bull tadpoles but I know they can totally wipe out any other frog/toad population and there are tree frogs and spadefoot toads on our property. Id hate for them to all be eaten!

About Watergardening.com

Watergardening.com is a forum devoted to water feature enthusiasts all over the world.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube RSS Feed