Thread: Air bubles on top of the pond

Unhappy Air bubles on top of the pond

Hi Everybody,
    Just put in a new pond this spring and now, four weeks after filling it in, it's turning completely green! Plus, I have bubles floating on top of the water. I have put in a lot of plants and don't feel like spending money on chemicals or a uv filter? Will I ever get back clear water without either? Suggestions please?
    Martine

Martine,

I too just put in a new pond, and I don't blame you not wanting to spend extra $ on uv's or chemicals.

Do you have a waterfall? The reason I ask is that the water bubbles in my pond seem to be caused by the waterfalls...I don't think it's harmful. If you have a falls and don't like the bubbles, play with the rocks in the streambed to see if you can calm down the water, and the bubbles.

For the green water, you can put a product called NuFoam (from craft supply stores or Walmart, about $8/sheet) in front of the pump housing. It's a fine foam that is used for chair cushions and does a great job in filtering the water. I bought one 'cushion pad' and pulled it apart. I put one in the skimmer box and cut the other piece up into chunks and put them in a media bag in my filter falls. The water cleared in a matter of hours. I have lots of algae in the falls but the pond/stream are crystal clear. It's a great product that I've read about here in this most helpful forum...

Good luck,
    Gail

Bubbles in the pond

Hi Gail,
    Yes I do have a waterfall. However, the bubbles were not there before this week. I wondered if this was due because of too much or lack of oxygen in the pond.... Any ideas on that.
    M.

If your fish have spawned, the organic matter will cause a foam to form.

Occasionally some people get into their pond with soap or lotion residue still on their legs or hands. This organic matter can cause foaming.

One person used an old T-shirt to hold some filter media, and the laundry soap residue in the shirt caused foaming.

If you have occasional bubbles, it's no problem. If you have foam that floats around and doesn't pop within a minute, then something else is wrong. And that something is some kind of soap or other organic matter, not missing or extra oxygen. Take a good clinical look at your pond and see if you can think of any changes you've made (or were made by others, including fish) in the last few days

Sonoma County Susan
    Science Teacher, Ponder (Zone 9)

Ok, something is wrong

My air bubbles don't go away. They float around the pond. I don't think the fish are spawning because they are very small. Changes made in the last two weeks, added new plants and fish.
    Today, I'm going to go out and buy a nufoam to put in the skimmer to see if it helps with the green water, maybe it will help with the air bubbles.
    I'm new at this so tell me how I should clinically look at my pond. Is there a kit I should have to ****yse the water? Help!
    Martine

Don't panic, I do think its just the new pond eco system establishing itself. The nufoam will likely help.
    But patience is usually the best remedy with a new pond.

Can you post pictures of the bubbles?

Orland Pk IL
    Zone 5

Water testing kits are definitely a good idea. Frequency of testing is a pretty personal choice... Some people test daily, weekly, or only when there's trouble. Some people drive themselves crazy trying to obtain "perfect" water when, in fact, it's a losing game. Just make sure you are within safe parameters (the kit will tell you, also there's great info here in various threads) and you'll be fine. And make sure your kit is replaced once a year or so, as the chemcials do go stale/bad and will give false highs and lows.
    Last edited by Chemistx2; 06-22-2009 at 08:55 AM. Reason: ana_lysis gets starred out!

Sonoma County Susan
    Science Teacher, Ponder (Zone 9)

About Watergardening.com

Watergardening.com is a forum devoted to water feature enthusiasts all over the world.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube RSS Feed