Thread: Cattail removal

Cattail removal

My cattails are getting out of control. Is their any way to remove them without taking out all the rocks around them? If I take the rocks out, all the other rocks on that side of the pond will fall down.
    Thank's
    Chuck
    Last edited by azpondman; 10-26-2005 at 10:50 AM.

I just cut mine off below the water line. They may produce a few new leaves, but just pull them out. They will die off in due time.

I did cut the off,but they keep coming back...
    Thank's

Just keep cutting, they will give in.

I'll agree with rgn, cut them below the water level, keep doing it and they will die off eventually.

Thank's. I'll keep cutting them back.

Hi All,
    I have not posted in a while, but I do need some advice on my plants. This one is about cattails.
    Mine are in a pot, I cut them down to about 6 inches and everything turned brown. My husband thinks I may have killed them. The top of the pot is just at the water line. The little frog who stayed in them has since left. I hope I didn't kill them and disturb the resident frog. The pot seemed way overcrowded anyway and when ever we had wind it would blow over into the pond. Should I drop the pot into deeper water for the winter now or just take it out and purchase a new one in the spring?

Thanks for your help
    Melinda
    Stamping,Gardening,& Ponding!!
    These things make me smile!

Cattails

I'm not sure what type of pond you have but I three years ago took my cattails(plus all my other plants) out of the pots they came in, rinsed off the dirt and planted them under the rocks on a couple different "shelves" of my pond. They are planted deep enough that the roots will not freeze in the winter. They come back every year bigger and better!

Cattails are really tough. They will turn brown but
    as long as they aren't cut off below the waterline they
    will be fine. They are a marginal plant so they don't want
    to be underwater. Just think about cattails in the wild.
    They are at the edges of the pond, they turn brown, they
    bend over, but they aren't cut off. They do get frozen
    in the ice and snow. They come back every year. But if
    they are cut off below the waterline they are under stress
    and eventually will die.

The froggy was using them for cover. He felt safe there.
    He moved to a place where he felt safe. If he is a frog to
    winter over under water that is where he is. If he winters
    over under leaf litter in the yard, he will be found there.
    They may not have big brains but they do know what to
    do - kind of hardwired like that.
    kathy

www.blogfromthebog
    Once Upon a Pond
    new entry this week ~ chapter 6
    Time to fix the dam

Cattail Removal and Cutting Cattails

I have used 3 methods successfully.
    For several years, I hate to even admit it but I used chemicals.
    Then I started using a Weedrazer V Cutter to cut them by hand. Worked well but it was still hand work.
    But, I have now found the ultimate machine - the Aquatic Vegetation Groomer . Works incredible and even tho it was expensive it is so worth it.
    I found it at www.LakeWeeds.mn
    write back if you have questions.

cattails are very hardy, i had removed them many times each time thinking I had gotten them. I found that the root system becomes very large. I have also found that parts of the roots can sprout new cattails.

If you have found the magical way of killing them you still should remove as much of the roots as possible. If not the roots will decay, maybe causing water problems.

Where the cat tails are in reach, the roots embedded in tricky rockery work, there is not much chance of yanking those out.

You might try carefully stroking round up on the foliage, taking care to make sure none of the round up goes anywhere else. Some plastic gloves and a small sponge might be effective to accurately apply the weedkiller to only the cat tail.

Do it on a day where the humidity is forecast to be dry so the weedkiller does its job best, being absorbed only by the plant you want to eliminate

In a weeks time you will probably see the cattails appear to blast into growth, then wither and die. Round up is supposed to trick the plant into growing itself to death if I remember right

You might test a small section first, just to see if it is doable and works, if the cat tails are extensive

Regards, andy
    http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html

Smile buy it directly from manufacturer

WeedRazer works well like brucew said. I bought mine thru weedrazers.com. They are the manufacturer of these tools, i would rather buy it from the manufacturer. They have videos of the product actually cutting cattails, you should definately buy it from them.

About Watergardening.com

Watergardening.com is a forum devoted to water feature enthusiasts all over the world.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube RSS Feed