Thread: Keep water from FREEZING

Keep water from FREEZING

I have found a great way to keep your pond from freezing solid for about $33.00, go to your local Tractor Supply Co. or farm store and buy a floating horse trough heater and the metal guard that will keep it from bumping into your liner and putting a hole in it. It will automaticlly come on at about 40 DEGREES ( water temp) and shut off when water warms up to over 40 DEGREES.

Unless you have a very small pond, it will never freeze solid.

That heater will keep an opening in the ice but will not keep the pond from freezing over. It will just keep a hole open which is necessary to keep the fish alive, however, it is a bit pricey to run electric wise. There are cheaper alternatives to keep a hole open.
    Chuck
    Happy Koi Keeper!
    AKC

what are the cheaper alternatives

There are several on this website, things like 100w floating heaters, tote-box heaters, etc. There are several threads here about winterizing your pond. Just search them out.
    Chuck
    Happy Koi Keeper!
    AKC

I've used that floating heater, the one for $33. It sounds like a good idea until the electric bill comes. It costs about $2/day to run it - about $60/month (here in Wisconsin). Not a cost-effective alternative! We're using the tote box and a small fountain pump as a bubbler this winter.
    Last edited by WindyMisty; 11-10-2005 at 03:55 PM.
    Karen

I recomend the tote box its going to be hard to beat and it runs cheap only 50-75 watts! the pond can freeze over thick and you will be fine with one of these and a bubbler somewhere under it its an excellent idea mine worked perfect all winter even with 3" solid ice my pond ran just fine with it sitting directly in front of my skimmer allowing water under it and into skimmer worked great.
    take what you think it will cost or how hard it is and double or triple it should work out close with a pond!

About Watergardening.com

Watergardening.com is a forum devoted to water feature enthusiasts all over the world.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube RSS Feed