Thread: Do I need an aerator?

Do I need an aerator?

Does one only use an aerator in the winter, or would it be good to use one year round? I live in Florida so don't have to worry about the cold, but am wondering about using one just for the health of the pond and koi.

Thanks as always.
    "I'm happy in my own little world. Everyone knows me there"

you can not have too much air, but it really depends on your set up if you have enough (how many fish). The water fall is where/how the oxygen gets in the water. A photo would help.

Here's a pic of my pond. I have 12 koi, about 8-9 inches each. I bought the Aquascape Aerator 4 today, but in putting just one lead in (there's a port for 4), it was a lot of bubbles. So I took it right back out - THEN noticed there's an adjustment on it. I was going to take it back because I didn't want bubbles everywhere in the pond - looked funny. But if it can be adjusted down and it would help, I'll work with it. I'm wondering if it's overkill.

Last edited by Jody; 03-22-2007 at 09:38 PM.

Like you said, I did use one in the winter, but all last summer I didn't use one and my waterfall doesn't have a big splash and things were fine...I think it also depends on the plant life you have from what I read...The plants will add a lot of O2 to the water during the daylight hours...My aerator is still going now and I am thinking of just leaving it in b/c the more O2 the better...Not sure though...

I run a waterfall and extra air pump with 3 stones.
    K.O.I.

Sick fish? koiphen.com

I don't have rocks

I have a 16 x 11 pond, 1000 gallons, 4500 GPH pump, 7 fair size Koi (a couple that are probably pushing 14"), and 6 goldies of various types / sizes.

My falls make a moderate splash into the pond...never used any addition oxygen.

Decided to do without the aerator. Both my installer and the people at the pond store say I don't need it. I have the highest end pump and filter and the waterfall has a lot of splash, so I'm gonna relax and let the pond do it's thing.

Now if I could just find the darned light that disappeared from the end of one of the tunnels. I actually went swimming in the pond (in a bathing suit) trying to reach it, and it's gone- totally disappeared. The Koi think I've lost my mind. (They probably ate it - the little gluttons)

I'm definitely borrowing Ken's sig: "Whom the gods would destroy, they first give a pond." Love it.

About Watergardening.com

Watergardening.com is a forum devoted to water feature enthusiasts all over the world.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube RSS Feed