Thread: Use of shellac to shine up waterfall boulders

Use of shellac to shine up waterfall boulders

I just installed a new pond. The boulders for the waterfall have beautiful coloring, but look flat and dull when dry. I would like to apply some type of shellac to bring out the color, but do not want to kill the fish. Any suggestions?

Some gravel sold at pet stores has some kind of coating, i assume it is what you are talking about. I have bought 25# bags this for use in & around the pond. It wears off the gravel wihin a year or two. At best I would assume the same would happen with larger boulders. at worst it may start to peel, looking like a patch work and fall into the water looking like food.

For me, I would not do it.
    Last edited by LJS; 06-14-2007 at 05:39 AM.

Orland Pk IL
    Zone 5

Quote Originally Posted by dorane View Post
    I just installed a new pond. The boulders for the waterfall have beautiful coloring, but look flat and dull when dry. I would like to apply some type of shellac to bring out the color, but do not want to kill the fish. Any suggestions?
    What about something like Thompson's water seal, I know they recommend it for brick/stone...?

Ponds are suppose to look natural from the water line up...coating rocks wouldn't exactly be very natural looking

Actually I am thinking that if you could shellac some of the rocks around the waterfall it would make them look wet and more natural.

This is an interesting topic. If it turns out to be safe I would like to try it.

CamG

Let us know how it works out for you.
    Doreen

Quote Originally Posted by CamG View Post
    Actually I am thinking that if you could shellac some of the rocks around the waterfall it would make them look wet and more natural.

This is an interesting topic. If it turns out to be safe I would like to try it.

CamG
    A mister would keep rock wet and moss and other plant life would thrive. And it would be really wet, so birds would love it too! real nature.
    A shellac coating would kill all moss and any other plant life, which in my opinion would destroy the natural look.
    Last edited by LJS; 06-14-2007 at 05:46 AM.

Orland Pk IL
    Zone 5

Good Point....

why would your waterfall rocks ever be dry?
    K.O.I.

Sick fish? koiphen.com

I don't have rocks

About Watergardening.com

Watergardening.com is a forum devoted to water feature enthusiasts all over the world.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube RSS Feed